Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Those Were The Days...


Blog Prompt: If you could be a child for one day, how old would you be and what would you do?

Today, I would choose to be eight years old. I'd be wearing two ponytails with mismatched hair elastics, frayed cut-offs and a Goodyear teeshirt. Flipflops--only they were called "thongs" back then--would be the only shoes I'd wear. My nails would be bitten to the quicks and I'd be scabby, too.

George would be seven and Michael'd be four; Mom and Dad would still be married and we'd all be together again. We could hang out at the public pool, listening to The Eagles and The BeeGees. We'd come home with browned skin and bloodshot eyes and still not be exhausted. The boys and I would fight like the wee savages we were. Maybe Mom would make Korean food for dinner, and maybe Dad would shoot hoops with us in the driveway with the red, white and blue basketball.

I could read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe for the first time again. I could make Barbie clothes out of discarded socks (cut the foot off and use the cuff) and God's Eyes with used popsicle sticks and dayglow yarn. I could lip-synch the Grease soundtrack in my bedroom mirror.

I'd pay better attention to the details. I've forgotten the smell of Pappaw's pipe and I wish I could remember kinder moments between my parents. I'd ask even more questions, which is saying a lot.

No comments: