Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Best Friend

Blog Prompt: Real Finds. Have you ever bought anything on the spur of the moment, something you weren't sure you would ever use, then realized you came home with a gem?

In December of 2003 I was home, ill. Also, we were out of soup and sick-people supplies. When I went to Smith's to buy groceries, I noticed there was a new pet store in the shopping center.

I discovered a long haired red dachshund puppy, and I called my husband. He said, "You need another dog like you need a hole in the head. And, ain't you sick?"
"Never mind," I said. "Come meet me here."

So he did. And we bought her...fairly quickly. Named her "Heidi".

When we brought her home, our other weiner dog, "Weenie", freaked and tried to kill her...so we thought, "Uh-oh. Bad decision."

Less than 24 hours later, and Weenie and Heidi were sharing a bed, Weenie was cleaning Heidi's ears and mothering her.

Heidi's four now, and my secret favorite of the bunch. She sings "Happy Birthday". She accompanies me on my barnyard rounds, and she waits on the recliner by the window for me when I'm away.

She is the dog I wished for my whole life. See her sing here, with Weenie singing backup vocals.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A very definite spur of the moment purchase. Heidi is a real cutie.

Treighsie said...

What a great story!!

Unknown said...

How cool I didn't know you could put home videos on blogger. Maybe I should give it a try.

I love the viseo of Heidi singing & what a wonderful find you have.