Friday, September 28, 2007

The Purse Whore

I may have actually looked at Chanel or YSL for longer than it takes to flip a page, but it's not like I'm running down to the Forum Shoppes at Caesars Palace for a custom fitting. Shoveling shit and worming goats are a part of my daily life, after all.

Designer purses though...yum. I love high-end handbags, and it's not necessarily about the status symbol. I don't own a purse for every outfit or occasion; I'm too lazy to change them out. But I have some outstanding bags that I have carried around every day for years. They stay fashionable, or become "vintage". Some are plain leather, and have the telltale designer fabric on the inside, so only I know that it's the real McCoy. I am not interested in getting my bag jacked for the sake of being trendy...

There are still Louis Vuitton steamer trunks on the bottom of the ocean floor that the passengers brought aboard the Titanic. Man, that is saying a lot. Well-made bags really really last! I will pass on my collection to my daughter. "I don't have heirloom silver, but here--take this Gucci I got for graduation with my initials engraved on the zipper-tab. Maybe it's ugly today, but it'll come around again...and I carried it to the hospital when you were born!"

I don't covet jewelry (the film Blood Diamond closed the deal on my indifference). I drive a hybrid economy car. I drink tap water and re-use paper towels. My dogs don't have killer pedigrees, and my husband comes home from work dirty every day. I love me some purses, though.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your title and nearly died laughing reading your post. How well said.

Anonymous said...

Purse whores unite! I miss you Sandy! Love you so much!! xoxo