Sunday, January 6, 2008

If The Possibility Existed...


My blogging pal Tink posted an intriguing blog prompt a few weeks back that I missed. She asked where in time I would go if I were a Time Traveller.

There is a series of weighty tomes by Diana Gabaldon that revolve around the premise of Time Travel. Outlander and its sequels are my favorite and
most often re-read novels. I find Time Travel endlessly fascinating.

If I were to choose a time in my life to travel back to, I would enthusiastically select 1996. I was 27 years old; a new divorcee and a new mother to the only child I will ever bear. Money was tight, but I was young and fit and cute and FREE from an unhealthy marriage. My baby girl was learning new things and she still nursed. When her chronic ear infections began, I would skip the pediatrician and go straight to Dr. Schroeder--the ENT--much sooner. I would knit her more baby items and take more photos. I met my current husband in 1996. It would be nice to relive the early romance and delightful manners.

If I were to choose a time period in history to travel back to, I would grudgingly choose 1900. I'm a great fan of history, but I deeply appreciate the conveniences of life today. The turn of the last century was another huge leap in technological advancements and opportunities for the common man, so that would be quite nice. Women's rights, cars and electricity, vaccinations and improved education were on the horizon. Entertainment was cutting edge. The Titanic was built. Trains were everywhere. But people were generally still courteous and helpful and respectful to one another.

Sure, I'd love to experience ancient Rome, William Wallace's Scottish highlands or even colonial America...but those times were rough times for everyday people like myself.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Funny, of all the books that I have and have read I think I missed her's somewhere along the way. I will definitely have to check them out. 1996 huh? In 1996, Pan & I had been married 7 years. Nuke was in his first year of college; Scamp was a senior in HS and living with his dad in NC. Bombshell was just being herself.

loonyhiker said...

I want to check out these books too. They sound interesting. I like to read about time travel too.