Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Summer of Love


Man, it's harder to blog in the summer, when the days are long and there's so much to do on a farm...even if it's a piddly hobby farm!


The fiber crew in the backyard pasture have assimilated nicely, although I'm having a hard time ridding ole Hazel of the Strongyle (er, that's worms). Myrtle and the boys seem unaffected, though...I keep hunting turds like Easter Eggs to deposit at the vet's office for testing.


My vegetable garden is thriving, to my utter astonishment! Last year was my first attempt, and it was pitiful. But with some tips from the neighboring lavender farmer, I have my own Little Shop of Horrors taking on a life of its own. I cut a large head of broccoli today, and everyone is tiring of my yellow crookneck squash giftbags. Cucumbers equally prolific, and I made a small experimental batch of lactic acid pickles yesterday. That means I pickled them with boiling salt water and set them in the basement. Hm. We'll see. Cantaloupes are next, and they are looking rather appetizing.


I'm knitting a burpcloth for Amber's baby, Liam, who will be born in September. It's done in Robin's Egg Sugar & Cream, in a seed stitch stripe pattern. It's about 1/3 done. Simply an elongated washcloth that can be used as a small towel, burpcloth, changing pad or any number of absorbant baby items. Once Liam outgrows it, Amber can use it herself as a handtowel.
Busy, busy! I love summer, but oh, the chores pile up!

No comments: