Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Double Duty

DSP Blogprompt: Simplify life. We all have them, those household items that we purchase for one thing and then end up using them for another. What items do you have that serve double duty?

The neighbor girls all wanted Caitlyn to teach them how to knit, and I didn't have enough spare sets of knitting needles. So I told her to round up the bamboo Chinese takeout chopsticks, and stick them in the pencil sharpener. Voila, knitting needles. As Caitlyn so eloquently put it, "When yer poor, you gotta make do with whatcha got."

Just last week we rigged a drop spindle with CDs, a pencil and a paperclip.

I bought five 5-gallon Sparkletts water jugs to collect sap from the maple trees when we attempted to make syrup one year, but that experiment sucked eggs. The jugs get used every day to haul water to the goats and alpacas, though.

Dewey designated me an office/craft room when we built this house, but he uses it more than I do...for his business.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

love the idea about using the chopsticks as knitting needles. The princess wants to learn so bad (I am a horrid teacher); but I think regular needles are too slick. Yep, I think I'm going to try this trick.

Unknown said...

How creative to make a cd spindle from a paper clip & pencil. The chopsticks for knitting needles is just brillant.