I am fortunate to have so many interesting critters committed to my care. But they own me; not vice versa...
Highest in seniority is the tiniest of the bunch: Maggie, the Yorkie. Wee Maggs weighs maybe 6 pounds at age 7, and she's all brains and boss. She barks when she's hungry, when the water bowl is woefully empty, when she needs to go outside, when the other dogs need to go outside... Took her about 5 years to get me trained.
Heidi & Weenie we call The Weiner Sisters, although they're actually first cousins. Weenie is a 5 year old, short haired black-n-tan who wanted to kill Heidi-the-long-haired-red when first we brought Heidi home. Today Weenie mothers and cleans her fat little "sister". Heidi's 4 now, and I'm especially thankful that she's back in good health after a spinal injury last spring almost rendered her paralyzed. She loves her farm most of all, and takes particular joy in racing across the acres to check on her farmy friends, or to pick wild black raspberries or to gather veggies in the garden.
I am grateful to my fiber friends who give me so much wonderful fleece...albeit they don't exactly give it up willingly. {g} The goats, Hazel & Myrtle, are sociable and like attention. Ollie & Ringo, my alpacas...not so much. I hand feed everyone, but the alpacas are strictly "no touchy". Makes for an interesting afternoon, come wormer & toenail trim day.
I am the very reluctant caretaker of six laying hens...who aren't laying nuthin' yet. Chickens are dirty, and uninteresting. But Dad and the neighbors keep saving their empty egg cartons, with high hopes. I venture to say I shall find them highly entertaining once we go egg gathering.


6 comments:
Thanks for sharing the fur babies in your life...those photos are worth 1000 words each :)
Loving those photos. The alpacas are beautiful. Must remember to show them to the Princess.
wow........you have great pets!! Aren't goats funny. I guess you have a rooster with your hens?? The reason why I ask, is because many years ago we had some hens that never laid eggs, but when we brought the rooster along, then came the eggs. Just a thought.
Wow - you do have a farm!!! My parents have 2 weiners too - short-red haired brothers (gosh, around 9 now! wow! time flies) One is very selfish and obsinate and 'high maintenance' and the other is laid back, sweet and will lick you to death! I love them!
I love the photos of your menagerie. How neat to have such a range of pets.
These were great! I had to show my hubby and told him someday I want to go visit you and see all these wonderful animals! Thanks for the link to the crochet site. I can't wait to explore it. I just finished a scarf with a point on each end and now I'm working on a matching hat (the magazine says the skill level is easy but we will have to see about that!)
Post a Comment