Monday, November 12, 2007

Thank You For Being A Friend...

Blog prompt: What friends are you thankful for and why?

1. I appreciate my friend and cousin, Dorothy. She and her husband really encouraged us to make the move across country, and even let us (a family of 4 plus dogs!) live with her for three months while our house got built. Man, it wasn't easy...and it almost wrecked the relationship! We talk at least 2-3 times a week, and hang out at one another's house.

You know, we aren't even actually cousins. Her dad is my stepmom's brother, so we're related by marriage. But our parents are next door neighbors, too. We used to spend the summers hanging out as kids, when I would come back to visit.

2. My friend Amber, who lives in Las Vegas and just had a baby boy. I knew her mother first, who worked with me at the Hilton for years before Amber joined the fray. Amber and I have the same sick sense of humor, the same love of all things Celtic and British, and the same taste in 80's music. We fight a lot, but always seem to gravitate back to one another. Amber gives great advice, but never heeds it. We've shared some interesting adventures together, in our wild and single 20's, including a Grateful Dead concert where I foolishly found myself so drunk in 90 degree weather by 10am that I missed Sting's opening set. I was sitting in the Haight Ashbury free medical clinic for heat exhaustion, and Amber sat with me and missed Sting...who was the reason she came to the Dead show to begin with. Good times, good friends {g}.

3. My little brothers and baby sister. We help each other out and support each other without judgement. Not huge phone chatterers...but hilarious text-messagers, all.

4. Dew. My rock. Best friend forever. I can't think of anyone else I'd rather drive 1800 miles across country with...7 Times.

5. Bug. We are known to break out together in spontaneous dance in the Target. She's 12 but she makes me laugh. And she's so kind and helpful.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't text message much. My daughter does to me all the time, but no one else. My little sister likes to IM, actually she has her boys (ages 4 & 5) IM me all the time. I use to go to concerts all the time, but never drank back in those days, Pan can relate though, LOL

Anonymous said...

That is us in a nutshell! ahh the memories.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that was me by the way. Amber