Blog prompt: Money, fame, or happiness? Are they mutually exclusive?
I don't think these things are mutually exclusive as a rule; they just tend to be thusly so because we're talking about the money, fame or happiness of people here.
Ask anyone who knows me, and they'll tell you I am unambitious person...well, their actual word would probably be "slacker" or "underachiever"...Fine. Whatever. Too much effort to argue the point. Heh.
People generally hunt the fame and fortune first, right? They presume that naturally, happiness will follow. More and more, though, it appears to me that people sabotage their own happiness.
I found that I just had to lower my standards to find happiness.
That being the best or having the best wasn't the key to happiness; recognizing that I am enough and that I have enough already seemed to take the pressure off.
Appreciation. That's all. That old cliche.
I married an ambitious man, though. He takes great pride in his professional reputation and ability to generate cashflow. He even has a tattoo on his calf of Chinese characters that read "Never Satisfied".
We complement each other's outlooks on life. My happiness comes from my self-respect, my service to my people and animals, and my pursuit of artistic expression. Dew's happiness comes from building a business from the ground up and providing a home for people who love and appreciate him.
And you know? It's really enough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I just went brain dead and forgot what I was going to write. I think it is too late, LOL. Oh there it is. Sounds like you are more like Pan and I am more like your dh. Oh I never needed the kudos or for anyone to recognize it, but I was (and still am) an over achiever. I have to be the best, at least in my own mind. I have to know that I have given it my all. Though I have been learning at this late stage in my life, that sometimes you don't have to do that. But it is so hard to change after 50 years, LOL.
I'm torn inbetween, part of me (historically) has chased promotion and status as well as dollars in my career, and I did well at it for a while, though now thoughts of working in an eatery in a little country town and looking after my (fingers crossed) children and animals really appeals to me, but I still have a need to look at job ad for something I think 'may be better'
Post a Comment