Friday, December 7, 2007

My Oldest Friend

On the seventh day of December I will pay homage to my imaginary friend by lighting a candle and fondly remembering a childhood.

I was one of those silly girls whose greatest entertainment was playing in front of the mirror, and
my best friend was my reflection. Not to be confused with vanity...for I was an awkward, goofy kid who longed for a freckle-free face with straight shiny hair and perfect vision. But I could stare at this girl for hours. I could watch her move, or change facial expressions. I could stare at her flaring nostrils when she laughed. I watched her sing into a nylon hairbrush and dance on the bed. I helped her dress in bedsheet evening gowns and critiqued her on her practiced conversations.

Obviously I didn't have an XBox or satellite television or even a sister for entertainment...no, just the AM radio, some books, a portable record player, and the little girl who thought I was weird but wonderful.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The best imaginary friend ever, I would think. But you made me think... I don't ever recall having a mirror in my room. Still don't. Hmmmmmm? Wonder what that means? LOL.