Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Underwater Dreams

On the twelfth day of December I remembered my favorite dream and it has inspired me always.

I had this dream in my early twenties.

I was a huge fan of this video game for Super Nintendo...it was called Uncharted Waters...New Horizons, and it was an role playing game. You're a sea navigator, and you raise money to buy & sell trade goods, build and sail ships, map the world and discover natural wonders. While this silly game taught me plenty about organization, geography and economics, it spawned a love for ships and all things nautical. Also, I am a Cancer, and therefore a water sign.

Anyway.

I dreamed I was snorkeling with my youngest brother (who happened to be a squid in the Navy at the time, so how fitting is that?) on a calm, clear beach in the Caribbean. I scooped up a couple gold coins from the bottom of the ocean floor, and watched the sun glint off them in the shallow water. That vivid image, and my sense of wonder at finding treasure so effortlessly, is a dream I've always cherished.

Upon researching the meaning of dreams, I've found several interpretations...ranging from "you shall attain your goals" to the ubiquitous "money will be coming to you". But my own interpretation doesn't value the gold for it's monetary value. Rather, it's a symbol of "treasure" in a broader sense. That what I treasure in life can be found right in front of my face, that it's mine for the taking if I just reach out for it and enjoy it for the lovely gift it is.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your interpretation of your dream. Much more realistic.