
Wow, I really missed blogging in the twelve days I was gone. The blogging part of my day served to ground me and calm my thoughts and make me look back at my daily minor accomplishments with an analytical eye.
First up was the Wool Gathering in good ole, crunchy Yellow Springs. This is a town infamous for embracing diversity. There are head shops and free trade shops, used bookstores, an artsy one-screen cinema and a tarot card reader. The comedian Dave Chappelle lives here...I've met him at Dino's cafe. The Wool Gathering featured bags of unprocessed fleeces from every variety of sheep and fiber bearing beastie. There were knitting and spinning supplies, books and magazines, handmade soaps and lotions...even a petting zoo. Among other fun acquisitions, I scored two drop spindles and a sliver of Fleece Artist wool roving.
Secondly, I got the goats clipped. Yup, my very own Bare Naked Ladies. They look awful, but cooler. Kent, at the Ohio Valley Fiber Mill, gave us a crash course in goat clipping and artistic swearing. Then he took us on an extended tour of his yarn mill and house, and sold me an Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel. We spent the past weekend sanding and staining it, but still it lies in the garage, unassembled. 
I joined the Dayton Knitting Guild, which had its first meeting of the year last Monday. Caitie and I went, and had a great time meeting new people and learning new tips. Caitlyn enjoyed the brownies...

I started and finished a blue beret. It was supposed to be for myself; but I made it far too huge for any human head. I ripped it out, and then made it too small for myself. Caitie smirked and graciously accepted the hat.
Plus...finding flights & airfare for Dewey, his parents, his son, and my brother...tending the animals (OMG the chickens are enormous)...working nights...oh, and Caitlyn had the flu bug yesterday and started her new job at the farmer's market today. It's been a little busy.

4 comments:
Glad you are back but it sounds like you had fun! Love the beret! I hope someday to learn to knit but right now I'm still learning to crochet.
Oh how I miss our goats. They were regular goats, but I miss all the farm area and I loved your story. That would be so interesting to see how you guys clip the goats. Do they fight you much on that?
Sounds like you have been very busy, but glad you are back. Love the pictures.
Sounds like a great time, and we're sure glad you're back!
Post a Comment