Tuesday, March 11, 2008

All The Pretty Colors


These are all projects worked on or completed by me this week.

Up at the top is a felted clog I knit for my sister's birthday (er, it's two months late). You knit it up huge, then stick it in a hot washing machine to felt & shrink up by as much as 35%. The resulting slipper is thick and dense and perfectly structured...knitting magic, I tell you.

The pink confection is another monkey sock, like the acid green ones you saw before. They'll be lovely for spring.

Both of the latter works-in-progress are knit from commercial yarn.

Then we have a mitten from my home grown, hand spun, hand dyed and hand knit mohair and wool blend. Folks, I had the best time creating this piece from start to finish, and I cannot tell you how rewarding or enjoyable the process is. The icing on the cake is that Dew told me he'd actually wear these mittens (er, next winter...). He's fussy about his attire; this is a man for whom I can generally only knit hats & socks.

Last is hand spun yarn I dyed purple on Sunday. This is practice wool that I learned to spin while my goat fleece was being processed. It's thick & thin and crazy in its inconsistency, but wow, it dyed up fabulously! Bug has claimed it for a hat.

Do I appear obsessed to you?

2 comments:

loonyhiker said...

Man, I love that purple! It is so rich looking. The clogs look cool too!

Unknown said...

Obsessed or not, all of these are gorgeous. Love, love, love your hand dyed yarns though. Ummm yum.